Sunday, April 13, 2008

Day 5 - Helloooooo Brisbane!

After a fairly ok ride from Sunshine Coast and going about a roundabout with a giant Campbells Tomato Soup, we arrived at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane (formerly known as Saville Apartments).


The rooms.. well, were okay. I mean, how do you compare it to Palazzo Versace? When we arrived at Sheraton Noose, Sunshine Coast, we were going, 'ok, smaller jacuzzi bath-tub, no daily yummy chocolates, no free water.'

But when we got to Mantra South Bank, we were, 'darn, NO bath-tub, NO chocolates, NO free water, no place to put toiletries in the shower and... single beds!' Yea, I know, we've been spoilt rotten.



After a quick change, we headed out to the weekend markets. But sadly, due to the rain, most were packing up when we got there. :(

Got ourselves some snacks and I bought HUGGIES baby wash for myself (cos it's soap-free) and headed back to the hotel.

We met about 6pm for our dinner at Pier Nine.

A little introduction... Pier Nine is an iconic Brisbane restaurant and unique dining experience. The restaurant features floor-to-ceiling glass walls that provide 180 degrees view of the Brisbane River (but trust me, your attention would be on the food, not the view) and the menu is updated on a seasonal basis to take full advantage of the best local product and the specials menu is updated daily for fresh produce.

Their chef is Robert Palmer... "I'll be your baby tonight." No, he's not the actual singer, but heard he was rather sporty and sang a line for the crew...


This is Ross's favourite - Oysters~! We always give him the oysters. He's such a nice guy!


Entrees...

Wok Seared Calamari with Chilli, Lemon Pepper & Bok Choi


Fraser Coast Scallops, Grilled on the Half Shell with Anchovy Butter, Sorrel, Capsicum & Preserved Lemon Salad


Mooloolaba King Prawns Trawler Galaxy with Shaved Fennel, Mango & Kiwifruit Salsa, Ginger Oil & Mint Dressing


Mains...

Bucket of Mooloolaba Natural Prawns Trawler Galaxy with Original 1000 Island Dressing

I was staring at Rod's main course. Prawns are my next favourite love to steak. YUM.


I can't remember what this is, i think it is..

Confit Junee (NSW) Lamb Rump, with Soft White Polenta, Eggplant Kasundi & Wild Fig Jus


Char GrilledTin Can Bay Moreton Bay Bugs with Soba Noodles, Papaya Salad & Coriander & Mirin Dressing


and finally...... me and Nad's favourite...

Rangers Valley Black Angus Eye Fillet 200g (300 Days Grain Fed) with Cauliflower & Porcini Puree, Asparagus, Medley of Mushrooms & Cabernet Jus

I'm telling you, this MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH. go for medium rare, that's the way to go. the puree actually goes quite well with the steak, i was a little skeptical about it, being cauliflower and all, but it was ok!


DO NOT STEAL MY STEAK. I WILL USE MY KUNGFU ON YOU!


yum.. my first time trying dessert wine. it's so yummilicious i could go for more.


see how much faster i'm drinking than nad? who in the end had to finish for me. haha..


Pier Nine Affogato
Short Black, Latte Ice Cream, Frangelico Liqueur and Belgium Donuts Filled With Burnt Butter Ganache


Flourless Chocolate Cake
Hazelnut Parfait, Truffled Tuille Kahlua & Hazelnut Oil

THIS WAS HEAVENLY...


Tartlet of Macadamia and Pineapple
Pan Fried Confit Pineapple, Macadamia Puff Pastry Tartlet, Scorched Macadamia Ice Cream & Pineapple Caramel


Finishing up the cake!



After we left the restaurant, I was itching sooooo badly, I went straight back to the hotel and called AIA. The hotel doesn't have an operator to help me make a reverse call charge, this is the first time I've heard of it, so I had to call AIA and ask them to call me back at the hotel.

They fixed up a doctor's appointment for me and he came to the hotel within an hour and a half. I was itching SO BADLY. He prescribed me more medication (which I have to get from the pharmacy, again), and gave me an injection which hurts like hell. It's worse than any I had and I practically held on to Nad's arms and cried while he gave me the jab. Another AU$225. I have faced my 3 worst phobias in just the first 5 days of the trip - heights, water and jabs.

Needless to say, I couldn't walk properly for the next 1 - 2 days. I HATE JABS.


Next post: GOMA

2 comments:

Benjamin James said...

Your whole trip is simply 'WOW', I wish I could have experienced what you did.

I'm so envious of you!!!

Ecommerce web developers said...

Wow, lovely dish.. You guys really do well. Thanks for sharing the information with us.